Mosquito Treatment FAQs:

Here are some common questions we encounter about mosquito control and treatment:

Is this treatment safe for pets?

Of course it is!  We love our pets (two loveable mutts at our house!) and would never put them or yours at risk.  The pesticide industry has come a long way since the days of highly toxic chemicals. We use pesticides that have the least amount of toxicity to humans, pets and other mammals and birds. We also always notify you when we have treated your yard so that everyone, pets included, can stay indoors afterwards for about 1 hour. Then they are good to romp the yard freely without worry or fleas or ticks.  

What about the bees?

It is best for everyone if bees are not harmed. Avoiding high pollenation areas and using chemicals that cannot be carried back to the hive are a few of the steps we take to insure we do not harm the bee population. We also always avoid flowering and edible plants, as required by federal law.

How long (after a treament) until I can go outside?
Once the chemical dries you are good to go! A specific time is hard to say because the drying process is affected by environmental conditions. To be safe, during humid months, we like to give it about one hour before venturing into the great outdoors.
How does it affect the eco-system?

We often hear from people who dislike mosquitoes but worry about the impact this service and (others in the pest industry) have on our eco-system.  As a pesticide license holder with many years of experience and  hours of continuing education in the field, we are happy to share some facts about the pesticide industry and our service.  To start, the industry is heavily regulated and we must all adhere to strict standards from the state and EPA. The product we use to treat for mosquitoes is a water based chemical derived from the chrysanthemum flower. There are many studies that show caffeine being several times more toxic than our product. These studies also display results based on practices that would never ever take place in real life;  Such as feeding mice an undiluted amount of chemical every day for an extended period of time. The product we use is also the least readily absorbed-through-the skin product on the market and has never shown any signs of health issues in children or adults. It also is the least likely to leach in to the ground water and the least harmful to birds.  All pesticides are toxic. So is Windex and cedar oil for that matter. The trick here is that we are using the product properly and safley.

When it comes to bees, it is in everyones best interest to protect the bees and this key here is that this product is one that a bee can NOT carry back to the hive. This is a repellent. This means it only kills what it touches and dissuades insects from coming back to the treated area. Some beekeepers even use pesticides under their hives to keep other insects away. Avoiding flowering plants and edible plants are not only a great way to avoid harming the bees but is required by the federal law printed on the label of our product. We often get calls about carpenter bees still being present after a treatment. I always tell my clients I can’t do anything about them, nor am I trying to hurt them!

Additionally, we  are not allowed to use a fogger to apply the product when winds are over 10mph in order to eliminate drift. When in the hands of an experienced professional who is abiding by the heavily regulated laws of the product label, there is very minimal risk of significant harm to the ecosystem.

How is this service different from what the county does?
To start, we are privately operated family run business. As for what the county services provides the public health department mainly focuses on treating thousands of acres at a time. They are known also to drive through certain areas of town with high mosquito populations spraying as they drive down the street. The product they use for urban areas is mixed so that it only kills mosquitoes that happen to be in the path of the truck and it only lasts a couple hours (if that). To us, it seems much wiser to have someone in control of the product applying it diligently, rather than blasting it out of the back of a truck. We are not allowed to use a fogger to apply the product when winds are over 10mph in order to eliminate drift.
How long does this application take?
On an average yard, our technician will be able to perform a quality application in about 15 to 20 minutes.
Will a treatment be effective if my neighbors aren’t having it done too?
Absolutely! Of course it would benefit everyone if the whole street had treatments done, which is why we offer great discounts for this, but our method has outstanding results either way. The invisible barrier we create around your property eliminates and repels all types of pests, including mosquitos. Some mosquitos only travel a short distance from their birth place and once their life cycle is disrupted, it makes it difficult for them to replenish the population.
Do I have to sign a contract?
We do have a little paperwork. However, our paperwork is simply a service agreement that locks in your rate and explains some details about the treatment.  You can of course cancel at any time, or even skip a treatment if needed.
How many times do you treat?
In our area the mosquito season runs from April to October.  The chemcial that is applied kills mosquitos on contact and can last approximately 21 days.  Over the winter, there is an optional service avaiable that treats mosquitoe larave at critiacl stage of their life cyle.

Contact us to keep your oasis mosquito free!

Service Request